GamStop UK – gambling self exclusion
GamStop is a free service for UK (UK and Northern Ireland) residents to help block access to online casino sites. The self-exclusion programme operates under the UKGC, closing off access to UK-licensed casinos. Below we cover everything a player needs to know about gambling self-exclusion.
How do I join GamStop?
Registration on the GamStop UK website only takes a few minutes. The home page has a detailed pictorial guide on how to use the GamStop self-exclusion service.
During registration, you need to enter a number of data:
- Postcode, residential address.
- Date of birth.
- Phone number.
- E-mail address.
The company records personal information, in case of logging in to the casino, GamStop websites check the player’s personal data. If a match is found, access to the game is blocked. The blocking of access to slots after opening an account takes effect within 24 hours. Contact information, residence address may change over time, so the data in your account should be changed regularly.
Requesting an exception to GamStop gambling does not result in automatic withdrawal of funds from your deposit. If there are funds in your accounts, you should first withdraw them and then you can deal with blocking. Otherwise, in the future it will be more difficult to deal with the administration of the casino.
You will not be able to withdraw money at will. Blocking periods are 6 months, 1 year or 5 years. You will have to wait for this time, and then you can play your favourite games of chance again.
Pros of GamStop:
- The service is free.
Any player, if they feel the need, can go to the GamStop website, enter their details into the form, and then confirm their actions. The lack of payment for this service encourages more people to use it.
- Fighting gaming addiction
The blocking measure is tough, but you can effectively shut down all UK online casino gaming sites. This is handy for those who feel they may lose control of slots or card games.
- Different blocking conditions
Players choose their own GamStop conditions. You can block yourself from playing games for up to 6 months, 1 year or 5 years if you wish.
The gamble aware player knows that such restrictions will not affect his credit rating. When entering data into the registry, the company only checks the player’s first and last name to make sure there are no mistakes.
Minuses of GamStop:
- No automatic refund
If there is any amount in the account, the player will have to deal with the withdrawal himself. Going to your cabinet after blocking is no longer possible and you only have to write an e-mail or make a phone call.
- Blocking without cancellation
You will not be able to unblock the game no matter what the reason is. You will have to wait for the duration of the self-exclusion.
- Works for UK casinos only.
Players will still have access to casinos with international licences. If you wish, you can choose any, open an account there, deposit money and activate bonuses.
- Regular updates of the information are required.
Phone number, email address, place of residence – these details can change every week. Try to enter correct information.
Self-exclusion does not protect the player from intrusive gambling advertisements. If you receive a newsletter from your favourite online casino, you will have to contact the website and cancel the newsletter yourself.
GamStop is controlled by the non-profit organisation The National Online Self-Exclusion Scheme Limited. It’s not the only registry where you can put your details if you feel addicted to gambling or sports betting. A big plus is that it is a free service. Not all organisations work this way.
- NetNanny. A popular software blocking service, there is a parental control option. Created in 1993 in Vancouver, after the main office was moved to Bellevue, Washington. While NetNanny previously dealt more with problems of inappropriate use of the internet, removing pop-up content, the functions have now expanded. You can block not just casino sites, but also harmful apps if you wish.
- GamBan. The company has been in operation since 2015. The Gamban team consists of specialists who are experienced in dealing with gambling addicts. It is possible to lock out unwanted content on websites, apps for yourself. The blocking can be easily accessed for free through any GamCare network. To do so, you will have to download the software on your phone, tablet. Once set up, the casinos will be blocked. The service is chargeable, £2 per month.
- GamBlock. Over 20 years in the online gambling market. Initially used software to limit gambling from underage children. Algorithms recognised slots under the guise of regular apps, quickly shutting down access to them. All this helps gamblers cope with the effects of gambling addiction. You don’t need to download anything to your phone, just enter your personal details into the registry. The service is chargeable. You can’t trick GamBlock with VPNs, proxies and resets
- BetBlocker. The program is not restricted by country, so it accepts players not only from the UK. The settings can be used to block access to unwanted sites under any domain. There are two options for using the software – install it on your phone to continuously monitor content on the internet, the second mode allows you to block the desired site from gambling entertainment on your own. Blocking terms range from 24 hours to 5 years, and there is an option to permanently freeze the account. Until the restriction expires, you will not be able to open access to the games. There is a function of parental control.
Once the freeze has expired, almost all companies ask to contact their support team. This is important, as the restrictions will continue to apply unless the gambler himself removes them. In order to do so, the staff needs to voice the situation and ask for the entry to be removed from the registry. Only then will access to a casino with a UK licence be granted.